Mr Molony is a graduate of University College Dublin. He completed higher surgical training in Orthopaedic Surgery in Ireland in 2010 and spent the following year as clinical fellow in shoulder and elbow surgery at the Royal North Shore Hospital (University of Sydney) in Australia and as Trans-Tasman shoulder and elbow fellow in Christchurch, New Zealand. He also completed visiting fellowships focussing on elbow reconstruction in the Hand and Upper Limb Centre, London Ontario and The Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minnesota.
Mr Molony returned to Ireland in 2011 and has been practicing as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon specialising in shoulder and elbow surgery since then. Having initially worked in Waterford, he returned to Dublin in 2014 and currently works in Tallaght University Hospital, Blackrock Clinic and The Sports Surgery Clinic, Santry. He provides a tertiary referral service for complex shoulder and elbow problems and has a particular interest in post-traumatic elbow and shoulder reconstruction, shoulder and elbow instability and joint replacement of the shoulder and elbow.
Mr Molony has a Masters in Surgery and has published over 20 peer-reviewed publications and a book chapter. He has ongoing research interests in traumatic shoulder and elbow injuries and sports injuries. He has published and presented nationally and internationally on shoulder and elbow conditions and other aspects of trauma and orthopaedic surgery. He is involved in higher surgical training in orthopaedics both in Ireland and internationally.
He is a founding member and treasurer of the Irish Shoulder and Elbow Society and a member of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society. He is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and a member of the Irish Institute of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery and the Irish Orthopaedic Association. He is chairman of AO Trauma in Ireland and has acted on faculty for international meetings on shoulder and elbow reconstruction and trauma surgery. He was awarded trainer of the year by the Irish Orthopaedic Trainees Association in June 2020.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Graduated University College Dublin 1999
- Basic Surgical Trainee Dublin Program RCSI 2000-2002 (AFRCSI May 2002)
- Higher Surgical Trainee Trauma and Orthopaedics RCSI 2004-2010 (FRCS Trauma & Orthopaedics November 2008)
- Masters in Surgery, University College Dublin November 2008
- Clinical Fellow Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Royal North Shore Hospital and University of Sydney, Australia: July 2010-February 2011
- Clinical Fellow Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Christchurch University Hospital and University of Otago, New Zealand: February 2011-August 2011
- Visiting Fellow Elbow Surgery, Hand and Upper Limb Centre, London, Ontario Canada: August 2011
- Visiting Fellow Elbow Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN, USA: September 2011
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, University Hospital Waterford Oct 2011-May 2014
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Tallaght University Hospital, Dublin May 2014 to date
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Blackrock Clinic, February 2017 to date
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Sports Surgery Clinic, March 2017 to date
- Founding Member Irish Shoulder & Elbow Society
- Member British Elbow & Shoulder Society
- Member Irish Orthopaedic Association
- Member Irish Institute of Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Member Irish Hospital Consultants Association
- Specialist Register Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Irish Medical Council
Mr. Molony is a keen sportsman with a particular interest in rugby, skiing, hurling and horse racing. He is married with two children.